One-Day Pike Fly Fishing Course at Bowood House
Sportfish Tuition Update
Our 2021 programme of courses and tuition is currently on hold, but we do hope to be able to resume safely soon, and are already busy planning for 2022.
Our bestselling courses are very popular indeed, and do sell out quickly, so if you would like to get ahead of the crowd for next year and receive advance notice of dates, simply email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and telephone number, stating which course(s) you are interested in.
We will then be in touch via email, prior to advertising the course, with dates for your consideration before they go live.
Pike Fishing Course
The Farlows Group has once again teamed up with David Wolsoncroft-Dodds to introduce you to some of the most exciting fly fishing in the UK – pike on the fly!
David’s expert knowledge and understanding of fly fishing for pike is unsurpassed. His book, ‘Fly-fishing for Pike’, was published in 2010 and he is widely regarded as one of the key authorities on the subject in the country.
With his relaxed but informative approach, you will enjoy a great day and leave with a wealth of pike fishing knowledge and maybe, just maybe, you’ll land a huge pike as well!
Bowood’s beautiful lake is home to some splendid, heavyweight pike. It is a private lake set in parkland sculpted and landscaped by Capability Brown and has been home to the Lansdowne family since 1754. It is an idyllic setting in which to enjoy some very special fishing.
Over the years, Bowood has consistently produced specimen pike and with an abundance of prey fish and little in the way of angling pressure the species thrive.
Meet at Bowood House Hotel, Derry Hill, Calne, Wiltshire SN119PQ at 8.45am for a splendid breakfast and introductions before decamping to the lake and the boathouse.
Course topics covered include:
- Flies that catch pike – with a tying demonstration.
- Properly balanced tackle – tackle can be provided to participants.
- Equipment such as landing nets, unhooking mats, unhooking tools, echo sounders, outboard motors etc.
- Casting big pike flies.
- Fishing techniques specific to pike, such as fly retrieves and strip striking.
- Watercraft and pike behaviour.
- Boat management and boat fishing techniques.
- Unhooking pike while retaining a full complement of fingers!
There will be opportunities to fish from both the bank and from a boat, it’s more than likely that some pike will be caught and there is always the chance of catching a real Bowood heavyweight.
- Breakfast, lunch and tea/coffee
- Ticket to fish at Bowood House
- One full day’s instruction from David Wolsoncroft-Dodds
- 15% discount on any tackle purchased from either Farlows, London or the Sportfish Game Fishing Centre, Theale*
PLEASE NOTE: We have added extra dates this year to meet demand, so book early to avoid disappointment.
For more information or to make a booking please call 0118 930 3860 or email email@example.com
You are required by law to have a current EA rod license; one can be purchased online here »
Please ensure you read our course terms and conditions prior to booking.
*Excludes already discounted or promotional items