History – Since 1872
All over the globe, there are people who love to fish and in the universal language of the sport, one name reigns supreme – that of Hardy.
For well over a century, Hardy has been renowned as the manufacturer of the finest game fishing tackle in the world – the name is synonymous with quality and excellence. Such reputations are not acquired easily, but it has never faltered throughout the Company’s long history.
Hardy history began in 1872, when William Hardy established himself as a gunsmith in his home town of Alnwick, Northumberland. A year later he was joined by his brother, John James, and the Hardy Brothers Partnership came into being. The high quality guns which they sold ranged from shotguns to pistols. However, despite their success, the Hardy brothers’ passion for fishing soon dictated a change in direction. Their favourite hobby became their profession, and the reputation of Hardy rods and reels was born.
To begin with, lancewood, hickory and greenheart rods were produced, but, by 1880, bamboo had been added to the range. The Company was the first manufacturer to invent a system for building rods in hexagonal form from bamboo. The Hardy Palakona bamboo rod won the Company’s first exhibition gold medal in 1881. Hardy products only stopped winning when gold medals were no longer presented at such exhibitions.