‘Duffers’ Fortnight’ is almost upon us – that magical period when the mayfly hatch reaches its crescendo and, supposedly, anyone can catch!
The truth of the matter is not quite what folklore would have us believe. Mayfly hatches have tended to be somewhat unpredictable – both in number and timing – in recent years and if you want to make the most of what is still a marvellous time to be on the rivers you need to be on top of your game.
Jonathan Tomlinson takes a closer look at some of his essential mayfly tackle.
Following on from this film that Chris and I made on the Lower Itchen Fishery, looking at our tactical approach to mayfly fishing, I’ve been asked to elaborate a little on the three key items of tackle that I employ at this time of year, namely my choice of rod, reel and line.
Mayfly time is one of the very few times of the year when I ever reach for a heavier line than usual and many anglers struggle to turn over those very large patterns that have the aerodynamics of a house brick!
With this in mind a #5 rod is the order of the day and I prefer to have a 9 footer, and my favourite rod on the market is the Sage One. This rod is beautifully crisp, has lots of feel and feedback through the blank and is powerful – but able to deliver effortless delicacy and accuracy.
Team this up with the new Rio InTouch Gold line and you have a match made in heaven. This three-tone line allows me to manage my distance very easily and has a fast-loading WF taper that can turn over even the most awkward of flies without compromising presentation.
This line is loaded on the the new large arbor ‘X’ frame reels from the guys at Nautilus. Light in weight, with a great silky-smooth drag system and, as always with Nautilus, it looks awesome!
Together with our video you should now be prepared for one of the most exciting times of year to be out on the river!
Other Recommended Mayfly Fishing Tackle and Gear
- Hardy Zephrus Freshwater Fly Rods – Catalogue Code 15B0015
- Sage Pulse Fly Rods – Catalogue Code 15B0059
- Sage 4200 Series Fly Reels – Catalogue Code 10301
- Cortland Sylk Fly Line – Catalogue Code 60159
- Rio LT Trout Fly Line – Catalogue Code 15A0064
- Fulling Mill Mayfly Set – Catalogue Code 1609
- Image Line Clipper – Catalogue Code 11471
- Orvis Super Strong Plus Leaders – Catalogue Code 16A0060
- Hardy Marksman Copolymer Tippet – Catalogue Code 11A0008
- Wheatley Fly Boxes – Catalogue Code 11401
- Gink/Xink Twin Pack – Catalogue Code 90138
- Hardy Test Bag – Catalogue Code 15A0026
- Wychwood VueFinder Boxes – Catalogue Code 11A0289
- Le Chameau Country Vibram Wellies – Catalogue Code 13A0077
We hope that the video helps you enjoy the hatch! If you’ve any questions, you can contact JT or Chris at our Reading store on 0118 930 3860.